|Print out the directions for the students from their page on Military
Uses. That link is at the bottom of this page.
Determine who will be in groups A, B, and C.
This is THE section. It is bold. It is dangerous. It is real.
- All groups click on the link at the top of the page.
- Group A: Go to Advantages of Using Viral Weapons plus Current
Threats in the yellow print in the Table of Contents box on the
RIGHT of the screen. Click.
Group B: Go to Smallpox Threat in the yellow print in the Table
of Contents box on the RIGHT of the screen. Click.
Group C: Go to Other Viruses ... Plus Terrorist Threat in the
yellow print in the Table of Contents box on the RIGHT of the
- Each group will read the article(s) assigned and work together
write a summary.
- A summary tells the gist of the article.
- A summary is not reading/writing, word-for-word, the article.
- A summary is a short version, in your own words. Example:
- You have seen a movie, any movie. You tell your friend about the
You tell the most important and dramatic points. You dont tell
every single detail.
- Each group writes a summary using one computer. When the group
is done, each person may return to his/her own computer and look
through this site for fun.
- When all groups are done, each group will have somebody in the
group read their summary. This will give everybody the opportunity
to have all of the information without reading it all themselves!
Questions for after summary discussion:
- Do you think there is a real threat of biological weapons being
used in your lifetime? Why or why not?
- What can be done to keep biological weapons from being used?
- Have you known anybody that had a deadly virus?
Click here for equivalent page for students.