|A game that teaches about shapes||3 1/2 inches
5 1/4 inches
1. Measure 3 1/2 inch strips of the vinyl and cut long strips.
2. Cut the 21 inch long strips into four 5 1/4 inch pieces.
3. Cut the rectangles into two piece puzzles. Cut different squiggly and zigzag lines. Make different kinds of dividing lines so that no 2 pairs are the same.
Predraw some dividing ideas so that they are all different and easy for a child to do
4. Draw on the pieces with crayon. Make sets of puzzles.
5. Decide what you can store them in and where you can store them.
When to change toys
Clean the vinyl with a scouring cleanser and make new games often!!!
How can you make puzzles for your toddlers, preschoolers and older children? Here are some ideas to get you started. Write new ones in the chart.
|Easy ideas||Hard ideas||Very Hard ideas|
|Nothing on cards, just shape to shape match||Geometric shapes||Capital and lower case|
How could you use the puzzles for homework? What kinds of information could you put on each side7
Self correcting learning game: Children can see their correct answers match up. Someone does not tell them that their answers are right or wrong.
Two piece puzzles materials list
The critical strategy that children under 6 use for puzzles is shape to shape matching. They learn later, like adults, to look for clues in the faces of the puzzle: that is, one piece with part of a foot and another with the other part of the foot, or a specific color that matches another piece. That is why it is important to have different squiggly lines that have distinct edge bulges and bumps.