For this step you should:
Look at the situation carefully. Figure out what it is that you are trying to solve. This will be your problem.
Things to remember
Things to avoid
- Try and find the most important parts of the problem
- Remain open-minded about the problem and its causes
- Be as specific as possible when thinking about the problem.
- For example - instead of saying "I hate my job," be more specific about what you don't like, maybe "I don't like working third shift."
- This first step is just for defining the problem, not for thinking about solutions yet.
- Immediately assuming you know what the problem and solution are
- Going directly to trying to solve the problem before thinking about it